Frequently asked questions
How much can I expect to save?
Depending on your installation and your lux level requirements, you can expect to save between 60 and 78% with any CRT installation.
Are CRT products eligible for funding, such as Salix?
Absolutely. A number of our customers have taken advantage of salix funding for CRT installations.
Are larger volume orders eligible for a bulk discount?
We offer prices based on puchase volume as we are committed to passing on bulk manufacturing savings.
Does installing a retrofit unit have any advantage over installing LED tubes?
Installing a retrofit unit carries several distinct advantages:
- CRT Retrofit installations benefit from an expected operational lifetime of 109,000 hours, which is significantly longer than an LED tube, particularly for fixtures which are in use 24 hours a day. Although the initial purchase cost can be higher, installing a custom retrofit reduces maintenance and replacement costs in the long term.
- Installing a retrofit designed specifically for use with your fixture can be a more secure option for discouraging theft, as the unit cannot be removed and used with any generic fixture elsewhere.
How many lumens per watt can I expect?
All CRT streetlights will acheive 129 lumens per watts at 30 watts or less. Higher wattage products may vary. Please enquire for more information.
What sort of payback period should I expect?
CRT Local Authority installations, including SLX and retrofits, typically come with a 2 to 5 year payback. All installations come with an individual payback calculation.
How complex is installation?
An essential part of every CRT product design offers simple and straight forward installation. All Local Authority luminaires are designed and manufactured to minimise the installation time, with your lighting engineers in mind.
What are the benefits of retrofitting over replacing?
There are numerous benefits to retrofitting rather than buying new. These are some of the main reasons you might choose this route:
- For certain installations, retrofitting can provide a cheaper alternative to fully replacing the entire unit and housing
- Retrofitting can provide a faster installation for luminaires such as illuminated bollards and subway lighting, decreasing costs and public disruption, and increasing the safety of the lighting engineer doing the work
- Retrofitting can provide a greener option to full replacement, as you are minimising waste by keeping your old housings and decreasing the carbon expenditure required to produce and transport your upgrade
- Retrofitting is an ideal option in areas of cultural heritage, where a new installation is undesirable. We can put an upgraded tray straight into your original housing, allowing you to reduce carbon and energy expenditure whilst maintaining the look of the area.
What are the minimum and maximum wattages available for streetlights?
10 - 200, with 5 watt intervals
What sort of photocells do you use on streetlights
Both minicells and NEMA sockets. We can also work with the customer to use alternative brands in line with pre-existing requirements.
Do your streetlights support CMS?
We have used Telensa, Mayflower, Lucy Zodion. CRT can configure their lanterns to suit any type of CMS.
Do CRT streetlights support easy maintenance and inspection access?
Commercial / Industrial Sector
Can I claim tax relief on my lighting upgrade?
Annual investment allowance
Is a two year payback realistic?
Absolutely. Where operational hours are 16 hours per day or more, a maximum* 2 year payback is available. Your payback is based on just the savings you make on your reduced lighting energy bill and doesn't factor in further savings, such as significantly reduced maintenance and replacement costs!
*We can usually bring payback right down to 1 year if your facility operates 24 hours per day.
Are your facility surveys really free?
Yes! One of our engineers will come out to survey your facility and talk to you in order to fully understand your requirements. If our prodcuts are a viable option for you, you'll receive a fully tailored lighting report plus a projected financial breakdown including cost estimate, payback estimate, savings estimate and carbon reduction estimate.
NB. If you have a large number of facilities to be surveyed across the UK we may charge a nominal survey fee per facility which would be refundable upon purchase.
How much can I expect to save?
Following installation you will see the following immediate energy bill and carbon emission savings:
- Up to 78% saving with a HBX only installation
- Up to 97% saving with HBX plus the Smart Lighting System
You will further save by reducing your lighting maintenance costs, as the HBX is significantly more robust and offers a substantially longer operational lifetime than traditional lamps.
Does a smart lighting system monitor my energy consumption?
HBX Smart Lighting allows the user to monitor overall energy consumption and instant energy levels in line with the government ESOS policy. Further features of Smart Lighting include:
- Automatic lighting adjustment
- Pro-actively manage lighting levels and performance
- Fully programmmable by the end user
- Access and monitor the system from on site or remotely
- Full functionality including:
- Turn the lights on and off
- Adjust light levels
- Turn off systems such as PIR monitoring for certain kinds of shifts, low workforce or partial facility operation
Why is HBX so much more efficient than more traditional lighting technologies?
There are several factors which make HBX so much more efficient than older sodium or halogen lamps:
- The HBX has been designed to be ultra efficient and requires significantly less power in order to produce considerably more light output.
- HBX has a powerful light output and we use lens technology to direct the the light from each lamp in the manner which best suits your facility. We can often reduce the amount of lighting units you actually need and with less than half the lighting units, we have achieved improvements in overall lighting levels of over 150%.
- HBX utilises sensor technology to further reduce excess energy spend. We can automatically turn the lights off or dim the lights when an area is not in use. HBX can also assess the ambient light coming in through the windows and reduce artificial light output to just enough to reach required lux levels.
- HBX is instant on / off, so you don't waste half an hour of time and power at the start of each day waiting for the lights to warm up!
What are the minimum and maximum high bay wattages available?
50 to 300
Who will dispose of replaced light fittings?
CRT are WEEE certified and will ensure old light fittings are disposed of responsibly, adhering to environmental legislation, specified under WEEE. Paperwork provided. Included as standard.
How is installation handled?
We have a qualified team of engineers who will handle your installation
Do CRT products come with a warranty?
We offer a standard five year full replacement warranty. Extended warranties are also available on request.
Which LEDs do you use and what is the life expectancy?
We only use the best LEDs in our luminaires, which are manufactured by Cree. Cree LEDs are market leaders, offering exceptionally reliable products which come with an operational lifetime expectancy of 109,000 hours.We only use the best LEDs in our luminaires, which are manufactured by Cree. Cree LEDs are market leaders, offering exceptionally reliable products which come with an operational lifetime expectancy of 109,000 hours.
Is photometric data available to download?
Link to IES files
What range of colour temperatures do you offer?
How do you guarantee your lumens per watt?
All CRT products are independently tested to verify lumens per watt. We take in to account optical and electrical efficiencies and don't rely on theoretical lumens per watts data from the manufacturers. We always offer customers tracability for LED part and BIN numbers.
Are CRT luminaires weatherproof?
All exterior lights are IP7, designed for low windage, all are either powder coated or, for extreme conditions, anodised to 15 microns.
What is the typical energy savings of LED over older technologies?
Minimum 50% savings against flourescents
Are you accredited members of the Carbon Trust?